David is an accomplished and awarded music professional with diverse experience as an electronic dance music artist, producer, composer, performer, DJ, promoter, academic and educator since the early 1990s. His work as an energetic and colourful live electronic act Honeysmack has earned him rare respect on the Australian live rock and dance music circuits. He exhibits a deep understanding of pop, funk, disco, punk, rock and contemporary electronic music styles. He is a multidisciplinary artist with expertise and experiences across media arts.
David's music career has been long and successful most notably as the artist Honeysmack. Highlights include:
• Co-writing credits with Grammy and Academy awarded songwriter Burt Bacharach.
• Artist appearing on significant international labels including Zomba, Jive Electro, SonyBMG, Ars Publica and Mushroom.
• ARIA final nominee in 1999, for Best Dance Music Release, Walk On Acid, Honeysmack.
• Creating & directing independent record labels; Smelly Records, Idiot House and Hand Made Acid.
• Performing live electronica at popular music festivals nationally and abroad.
• Projects range from electronic dance music, experimental rock, western art music, sound design and film music.
• 200+ music works registered with APRA.
• Work exhibited at San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, USA.
David’s academic experiences include lecturing in Interactive Composition at the Melbourne Conservatorium of Music at The University of Melbourne. His teaching expertise covers electronic composition, music production, broader creative media practices, technology, communications and music business strategies. David's research profile includes his current confirmed PhD candidature in music composition at Sir Zelman Cowen School of Music at Monash University.
In addition to education, David has navigated the music industry in various roles from communications, media, print publishing, music journalism, radio, information technologies, music direction and creative consulting, including:
• Onelove Music Group - music label and events inc Stereosonic.
• Editor at Beat Magazine -100% Magazine, Furst Media, co-produced and co-hosted Beat TV clip show.
• Radio producer and presenter at Kiss90FM, Melbourne
• Music Technology demonstrator for global brands including; Roland, Elektron, Moog, Korg, Yamaha, Akai, Buchla and more.
Honeysmack performing live at Melbourne Music Week 2017, St. Paul's Catherdral
Credit: Ben Willis
A world-recognised authority in the art of acid house, Honeysmack’s knack for hardware and give-no-fucks attitude saw him become a bona fide hero of Melbourne’s electronic scene - a status that lingers even to this day. ‘Walk On Acid’ saw Honeysmack sample Burt Bacharach’s classic ‘Walk On By’ and obliterate it with a thumping kick and slippery 303 bassline, and was so adored by the scene that it was nominated for an ARIA in 1999. If you’re a keen electronic fan, be sure to check out his live hardware sets on YouTube: this man’s an absolute master of his machines.
The 10 Best Aussie Rave Deep Cuts of the 90s, May 2020, by Will Brewster, Mixdown
Throwing convention to the wind, David Haberfeld’s (aka Honeysmack) pure-hardware performances of improvised techno were particularly spectacular! Within minutes, he dispelled the myth that live performances with modular synths are unstructured soundscape journeys.
Review of Melbourne Synth Festival 2018 by Jason Hearn, AudioTechnology Magazine