David is an accomplished and awarded music professional with over twenty years of diverse experience as an electronic dance music artist, producer, composer, performer, DJ, promoter, academic and educator. His work as an energetic and colourful live electronic act Honeysmack has earned him rare respect on the Australian live rock and dance music circuits. He exhibits a deep understanding of pop, funk, disco, punk, rock and contemporary electronic music styles. He is a multidisciplinary artist with expertise and experiences across media arts.
David's music career has been long and successful most notably as the artist Honeysmack. Highlights include:
• Co-writing credits with Grammy and Academy awarded songwriter Burt Bacharach.
• Artist appearing on significant international labels including Zomba, Jive Electro, SonyBMG, Ars Publica and Mushroom.
• ARIA final nominee in 1999, for Best Dance Music Release, Walk On Acid, Honeysmack.
• Creating & directing independent record labels; Smelly Records, Idiot House and Hand Made Acid.
• Performing live electronica at popular music festivals nationally and abroad.
• Projects range from electronic dance music, experimental rock, western art music, sound design and film music.
• 200+ music works registered with APRA.
• Work exhibited at San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, USA.
David’s academic experiences include lecturing at the Melbourne Conservatorium of Music & Victorian College of the Arts at The University of Melbourne. His teaching expertise covers electronic composition, music production, broader creative media practices, technology, communications and music business strategies. David's research profile includes his current confirmed PhD candidature in music composition at Sir Zelman Cowen School of Music at Monash University.
In addition to education, David has navigated the music industry in various roles from communications, media, print publishing, music journalism, radio, information technologies, music direction and creative consulting, including:
• Onelove Music Group - music label and events inc Stereosonic.
• Editor at Beat Magazine -100% Magazine, Furst Media, co-produced and co-hosted Beat TV clip show.
• Radio producer and presenter at Kiss90FM, Melbourne
• Music Technology demonstrator for global brands including; Roland, Elektron, Moog, Korg, Yamaha, Akai and many more.
Honeysmack performing live at Melbourne Music Week 2017, St. Paul's Catherdral
Credit: Ben Willis
Throwing convention to the wind, David Haberfeld’s (aka Honeysmack) pure-hardware performances of improvised techno were particularly spectacular! Within minutes, he dispelled the myth that live performances with modular synths are unstructured soundscape journeys.
Review of Melbourne Synth Festival 2018 by Jason Hearn, AudioTechnology Magazine